Scholarship funds are limited and intended to assist those with financial need who would otherwise not be able to participate in a therapeutic horsemanship experience.
Up to fifteen (15) vouchers may be awarded to an individual, to be used for therapeutic horseback riding lessons, horse care, leading, cart riding, & other horse-related activities during 2019. We anticipate the following stables will participate this year:
- Verde View Equestrian Center, 746 Colesville Road, Binghamton (near Sanitaria Springs)
- Athelas Therapeutic Riding, 1179 County Highway 5, Otego
- Golden Gait Farm, 3613 Pine Swamp Road, Sidney Center
Horse program activities must be scheduled by the individual & their family/advocate. Vouchers must be used by December 31, 2019.
Scholarship recipients from prior years may apply, but those who did not use their vouchers, or who were no-shows for scheduled sessions are not likely to receive a scholarship again. The following guidelines and criteria will determine an applicant’s scholarship eligibility:
- Scholarships are available to children & adults with developmental disabilities who receive services from Springbrook &/or Southern Tier Connect.
- Preference will be given to those who demonstrate financial need &/or circumstances that hinder their participation in a therapeutic horse program without scholarship assistance.
- The application requires clear goals for the individual’s participation.
- Vouchers are to be used during the current year and at the participating stables.
- The application must clearly indicate who will be responsible for scheduling lessons & arranging transportation.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MARCH 6, 2019. There is no online application format this year. You must print and complete the application AND authorization for release of information, and submit both to Barb Hein, Development Department (see page 4). Scholarship recipients will be notified in late March.
STAFF: Please involve the individual, family, &/or advocate when applying.